Friday, March 30, 2012

pwdencrypt and Case sensitive

Hi there
I know how to use pwdencrypt for my password and know how to use collation,
but how can I merge it together to make my password case sensitive and
pwdencrypt working, because collation only not support varbinary and my
pwdencrypt is saved on varbinary data type.
Any one has idea how to to this?
Thanks
Tony
I believe pwdencrypt behavior depends on the instance default collation. In
any case, you shouldn't use the undocumented pwdencrypt function in your
code. This may change or be removed in future SQL Server service packs or
versions.
Hope this helps.
Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
"Tony Dong" <tony.dong@.envoytrading.com> wrote in message
news:Oy07MZsRFHA.996@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi there
> I know how to use pwdencrypt for my password and know how to use
> collation, but how can I merge it together to make my password case
> sensitive and pwdencrypt working, because collation only not support
> varbinary and my pwdencrypt is saved on varbinary data type.
> Any one has idea how to to this?
> Thanks
> Tony
>
|||> I know how to use pwdencrypt for my password
If you knew that then you wouldn't be using it. ;-) Don't.
..NET provides classees for generating password hashes. They are more secure
than pwdencrypt and they are also properly documented and supported whereas
pwdencrypt is likely to break or disappear in future releases.
David Portas
SQL Server MVP
|||I am Tony's coworker and using .NET to encrypt the password is not an
attractive option because it means that we cannot operate the database
without .NET. It makes the business tier and database tier tightly
coupled or to use some of my old C++ jargon "It breaks encapsulation!"
If we were using Yukon, then .NET would be the way to go.
Cheers
Ted
*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.codecomments.com ***

No comments:

Post a Comment